SoftEther setup guide a bit confuse for a novice

Hello,

I am finding the instructions at https://github.com/icoexist/softether-autoinstall#open-ports-for-softether-vpn and How To Use SoftEther VPN With Local Bridge [Ubuntu] a bit confuse.

1. For a new install, the section “Disable SecureNAT” should be skipped?

2. And how to complete “Create Local Bridge” from SSH (I have no Windows machine available)?

3. And what about step 6. should it be skipped, too?

1. Enable SecureNAT for the DEFAULT hub with SecurenatEnable

Thanks in advance.

I have found the command “BridgeCreate”. It asks a hub name and then a device name.

I have tried both “VPN” + “soft” and “DEFAULT” + “soft” and in both cases, /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart’ failed.

[....] Restarting dnsmasq (via systemctl): dnsmasq.serviceJob for dnsmasq.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status dnsmasq.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
 failed!```

```[email protected]:~# systemctl status dnsmasq.service
● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-09-15 08:18:34 UTC; 5s ago
  Process: 9239 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=2)
  Process: 9238 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 8302 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 dnsmasq[9238]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 dnsmasq[9239]: dnsmasq: unknown interface tap_soft
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=2
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 dnsmasq[9239]: unknown interface tap_soft
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 dnsmasq[9239]: FAILED to start up
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 15 08:18:34 vm0 systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.

I have managed to install.

ip tuntap add name tap_soft mode tap

and inside vpncmd:

bridgecreate
tap_soft

However, it is not working if I disable SecureNAT (OpenVPN authentication fails).

Any guess?

First and foremost, welcome to the Forum!

I’ve only been able to read a bit of this so far, but I wanted to go ahead and reply to let you know that I am looking into it. I can see the from your second post with the dnsmasq log, it seems that the tap adapter doesn’t actually exist yet and dnsmasq fails to start. SoftEther is where you’d create that tap adapter, then dnsmasq uses it. This is why it’s also crucial to start the SoftEther VPN server first, then dnsmasq.

I’m not too familiar with this process via vpncmd, however I’ll look into this and see if I can’t figure it out as well. I do know that the SoftEther VPN Server Manager will work under Linux with wine. It shouldn’t have to come to that, I understand, but it’s still an option.

What have you managed to get working at this point?

1. For a new install, the section “ Disable SecureNAT ” should be skipped?

Yes, this will be skipped since this is a new install, and SecureNAT would not have been enabled on a fresh install.

1. And how to complete “ Create Local Bridge ” from SSH (I have no Windows machine available)?

I’m looking into this to see how this is done, the SE VPN Server Manager can be run on Linux with wine.

1. Enable SecureNAT for the DEFAULT hub with SecurenatEnable

This seems to be from another tutorial, possibly the quick-start guide where it’s the quickest and easiest way to get going. If you’re wanting to use your own DHCP server with dnsmasq on a local bridge, you’ll want to keep SecureNAT disabled.